How does the SwissCaution rental guarantee work?
The SwissCaution rental guarantee gives your landlord or real estate agency the same security and value as a bank deposit and offers a better quality and speed of service.
- Moving soon?
Register for the SwissCaution rental guarantee in order to avoid freezing three months of rent money in your bank account.
- Do you already have a rental guarantee for your current accommodation?
You can reclaim the rental guarantee money deposited in your bank by subscribing to a SwissCaution rental guarantee.
1. Choose your subscription method
2. Complete your rental guarantee application
Whatever method you choose for your rental guarantee application, you will need the documents listed below.
Documents required for your rental guarantee application
- A copy of your lease or draft lease
- A copy of an official identity document for all of the tenants registered on your lease
- Residence permit* B, B (for refugees), C or F for tenants from abroad
- A credit card or PostFinance for the payment of the fixed registration premium. Payment by e-banking transfer or by BVR is also possible (to be chosen at the payment stage during the application)
*For others permits, one guarantor must be resident in Switzerland.
All you need to do is apply for your rental guarantee.
Internet is the fastest method.
Register online and receive your rental guarantee without bank deposit immediately.
Find other ways to register by following this link:
3. Pay the fixed registration premium
Once your rental guarantee application is complete, pay the fixed registration premium of CHF 231.- (5% federal stamp duty included), which covers your rental guarantee until December 31st of the current year.
4. Receive your rental guarantee
Your rental guarantee will be immediately established and sent to your real estate agent or landlord, as well as a copy to yourself.
How much does it cost?
Example of a premium calculation:
- Requested rental guarantee: CHF 3,200.-
- Your rental guarantee: CHF 0.-
- Fixed registration premium: CHF 231.-
Valid until December 31st of the current year (5% federal stamp duty included).
- For the following years: CHF 189.- per year
Your annual premium corresponds to 5% of your rental guarantee amount (CHF 20.- administrative fee + 5% federal stamp duty included).
How can I cancel my rental guarantee?
You can cancel your rental guarantee at any time. Be aware that only your landlord or his representative can release your rental guarantee.
- Ask your landlord or real estate agency to return the original copy of the signed rental guarantee to SwissCaution.
- Once your landlord or real estate agent has requested the release of your SwissCaution rental guarantee, you will be automatically released from paying the annual premium for the following year.
What happens in the event of a claim?
In the event of an accident, if your landlord has claims against you (for example, damages or unpaid rent) and if you give your consent, SwissCaution will directly pay the amount claimed up to the maximum amount of your rental guarantee. You will then have to reimburse SwissCaution the amount that was paid to your landlord.
Do not forget to contact your insurer (civil liability/home insurance) to check if those costs could possibly be covered.
To quickly receive a new rental guarantee for your new lodging – assuming that a new lease is involved – complete a new SwissCaution rental guarantee application.